Pages

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Recession busting : in miniature

I don't know about you but I'm still not really sure if I actually condone the use of the word 'upcycling'.
Many would argue that it's just a fancy way of saying recycling but it sounds trendier? (don't get me started on 're-purposing'!)

In my mind if I'm "upcycling" I'm reusing something for the flat or the dolls houses, while recycling is more what you do with scrap paper or in the kitchen, separating cardboard and plastic, rinsing out yoghurt pots etc.

Do you agree?

Anyway, lately I've been trying really hard to not spend money unless it's purely essential items.
Unfortunately I also live and breathe dolls houses, possibly one of the most frivolous, indulgent and non essential past times going.

Problem.
Now if you're a doll house weirdo such as me you will already be familiar with the often eye watering prices of mini's.
I'm more inclined to go a few months buying nothing rather than just getting something I like less because it's cheaper and I can have it right this minute.

It would be easy to despair (particularly if you listen to/ read the news lately regarding economy/recession/ultimate demise of retailers/ job Market/ the world) but with a little imagination it's easy to get your mini fix from stuff just lying about the house.

Here's a couple of things that have gone on to have second lives in the dolls house.
If you fancy sharing any ideas of your own please do, would love to see them!!

First up, postage stamps.
Actually have my Dad to thank for this. He's a real stamp fiend and has done great stuff incorporating vintage collections built up by both my grandads. So many colours, sizes and designs around your sure to spot something that can be reinvented as mini canvas, book cover etc.
This Winnie the pooh one currently lives in the nursery, awaiting a frame when funds are at healthier levels!



Next up is the umbrella stand, formerly known as perfume atomiser.
Simply twiddle off the lid and voila!


Well, That's a couple of my most recent efforts. I'm sure there'll be a few more along soon.
So until then, Ta Ta!
X

No comments:

Post a Comment