Pages

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Whats the plan?

"So, what's the plan?"

If I could just have a £ for every time I've been asked that in the last 3 years then frankly there would be no need for a plan! I could just hang around relying on this ever predictable, probing, and in my opinion, some times quite rude actually, question to rear it's head once again, thus providing with a steady and constant income.

I may seem a little defensive?
Here's why.
4 weeks ago, after much careful consideration and 18months of blood sweat and tears I handed in my notice at the magazine.

The immediate question on everybody's lips "what's the plan?"

The truth is I don't have a plan as such. A reality that for the most part I am at ease with, but, for whatever reason has left those around me quite un nerved!

Yes, I'm aware that there's a recession and people with much fancier credentials than i are struggling to find work.
I'm also aware that unemployment in the under 25s is at it's highest in 9 years or so. And yes. I know it's Christmas in 40 days. But I'm still quitting, with no plan, and already it feels like one of the best things I've done all year!!

Ironically, the only people not enquiring as to my master plan so far are my parents.
As mum oh so sensitively put it
" Well, you're 24, you've got nothing to lose, no valuables to be repossessed and no commitments. Now's as good a time as any to give it a go."

See, it does pay to be single, skint and childless! Hurrah!

What I do have by the bucket load however, is ideas. Hundreds.
It's exhausting!

That and the realisation that no job I've had before or since has topped the dolls house shop.
You know that sicky, excited feeling in your tummy? Maybe you get it at Christmas? Seeing your other half after a few days apart?
What ever it is that triggers it, you know the feeling, yes?

Well, I used to get that feeling every time I went to work. When work was a dolls house shop. Clearly I've peaked too soon as no job since has topped that!
It seems to me that the thing to do now is get to a point where my job, rather than being an endless source of stress beating the enthusiasm from you on a daily basis, instead gives me that overwhelmingly excited feeling again, every day if possible
THAT ladies and gentleman is my plan.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment